Fresno Embezzlement Attorney
Experienced Defense Against Embezzlement Charges in California
At Schweitzer & Davidian, our Fresno embezzlement attorneys are committed to providing aggressive legal advocacy tailored to your unique circumstances. If you find yourself entangled in an embezzlement case, it is essential to understand the nature of the charges, potential penalties, available defenses, and why hiring our experienced attorneys can make a substantial difference in the result of your case.
Call Schweitzer & Davidian today at (559) 206-2322 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our embezzlement lawyer in Fresno.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement is considered a white-collar crime when someone entrusted with someone else's property or funds misappropriates those assets for their benefit. This act involves a breach of trust and often occurs in professional settings, such as businesses, nonprofits, or government agencies. Embezzlement can take various forms, including:
- Misappropriation of Funds: This is perhaps the most common form of embezzlement, where an employee or official diverts money entrusted to them for personal use.
- Forgery: Embezzlers may forge checks or other financial documents to facilitate their scheme.
- Falsifying Records: Perpetrators may alter financial records to conceal their actions or create false entries.
- Unauthorized Sales or Transfers: Some individuals embezzle by selling or transferring assets without proper authorization.
- Double Billing: In cases involving professionals, double billing clients or employers is another form of embezzlement.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in California?
Embezzlement charges in California can lead to severe consequences, including imprisonment, fines, and a criminal record that can impact your future. The penalties for embezzlement vary depending on the value of the property or funds misappropriated and other factors, such as prior criminal history and the case's specific circumstances. In general, embezzlement is categorized as either a misdemeanor or a felony:
Misdemeanor Embezzlement: The offense is considered a misdemeanor in California for embezzlement involving property or funds valued at less than $950. Penalties for misdemeanor embezzlement can include:
- Up to 6 months in county jail
- Fines of up to $1,000
- Restitution to the victim
Felony Embezzlement: If the value of the embezzled property or funds exceeds $950, the offense is charged as a felony. Felony embezzlement convictions may lead to:
- State prison sentences range from 16 months to 3 years
- Hefty fines, often proportional to the value embezzled
- Restitution to the victim
- A permanent criminal record
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Embezzlement requires proof of intent to commit the crime. If it can be shown that you did not have the requisite intent, your charges may be reduced or dismissed.
- Mistaken Identity: Individuals are sometimes wrongly accused due to mistaken identity or insufficient evidence linking them to the embezzlement.
- False Accusations: False accusations can arise from workplace disputes or personal conflicts. We can work diligently to uncover the truth and demonstrate your innocence.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was acquired unlawfully, we can challenge its admissibility in court, potentially suppressing key evidence.
- Procedural Errors: We can scrutinize the entire legal process to identify any procedural errors that could result in a dismissal or reduction of charges.
Contact Our Embezzlement Lawyer in Fresno Today
If you are facing embezzlement charges in California, time is of the essence. At Schweitzer & Davidian, our Fresno embezzlement attorneys are ready to fight for you. We will be by your side every step of the way, working tirelessly to secure the best possible outcome for you. Trust us to be your dedicated advocates in your embezzlement case.
Contact Schweitzer & Davidian today to get started with our Fresno embezzlement attorney.
Hablamos EspañolSpanish cases are welcome! Our firm provides bilingual legal services to accommodate the needs of our ESL clients.
A Client-Centered FirmWe put our clients first above all else. You can feel confident knowing that we only take cases in which we know have a fair chance at justice.
Experienced Trial AttorneysCombined, our founding legal team has over 25 years of trial experience on the front-line, proving that we are more than qualified for your case.
100% Devoted to the AccusedAny defense attorney who claims to be a former prosecutor is a hypocrite. We have always known what side we are on - your side.