Fresno DUI Attorney
Proven Criminal Defense Lawyers in California
A number of factors are involved in a drunk driving arrest, many of them involving the science of testing for blood alcohol content (BAC). At Schweitzer & Davidian, our Fresno DUI attorneys have a thorough understanding of the proper means to determine a driver's BAC, as well as the numerous mistakes that are made by law enforcement officers that can result in charges of driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs being dismissed.
Our Fresno DUI lawyers have received training on field sobriety testing and toxicology reports from some of the sharpest minds in the field. As a result, we are able to review the details of a DUI arrest in California and quickly spot any weaknesses or improper procedure that will assist us in your defense.
In cases where police follow proper procedure and the evidence appears firm, we are often able to negotiate for reduced charges and keep a DUI (also commonly referred to as driving while intoxicated or DWI) off of your driving record if you do not have a previous DUI conviction.
What Are The Penalties For DUI in California?
California law states that an individual who operates a motor vehicle with a BAC of .08 or higher is guilty of DUI.
If you face DUI charges, it is important to realize that it is not treated as a minor offense. Heightened awareness of the dangers that drunk drivers present has led to increased penalties in California and nationwide.
Penalties for a First DUI in California
A conviction could result in:
- Your license being suspended or restricted
- Significant financial penalties
- An increased car insurance rate
Subsequent convictions may result in:
- Jail sentences
- License revocation
Fresno DUI Attorneys Who Minimize the Impact of Your Charges
The defense strategies in DUI cases are as varied as the arrests themselves.
A lot depends on the circumstances of the arrest, including:
- Whether other witnesses were present
- Whether it involved an accident
- Whether anyone was hurt
- Other factors
When charged with a crime, our Fresno DUI defense lawyers take the time to review every detail of your arrest and dig far beyond the police report to ensure that we consider every possible defense strategy. This is especially true when you face DUI charges. Our objective is to minimize the impact that such a charge has on your life.
Accuracy of Breathalyzer Tests
If you have been charged with drunk driving in Fresno, you most likely were administered a breath test. Police officers often use the Breathalyzer test to gauge an individual's level of intoxication.
But is the Breathalyzer Test Accurate?
The answer is not as straightforward as you would think.
The Breathalyzer test and other similar tests do not test an individual's blood alcohol content (BAC) level. Rather, these tests estimate BAC based on the amount of alcohol on an individual's breath.
Many factors can skew the results of the Breathalyzer test:
- Medications: Certain medications can affect the results of a Breathalyzer test.
- Other substances: Mouthwash or breath spray, which often contain alcohol, can skew test results.
- Medical conditions: Many medical conditions can affect breath test results. Burping during the administration of the test, for example, can cause artificially high readings. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can also contribute to inaccurate results. Certain diets may also contribute to inaccurately high results.
- Errors in administration of test: Did the police officer who administered the test do so correctly? Errors are not uncommon in the administration of the Breathalyzer test.
If you failed the Breathalyzer test and were subsequently charged with drunk driving, do not lose hope. There may be several ways in which to fight the charges against you, including challenging Breathalyzer test results.
Remember, our Fresno DUI lawyer is here for you! Contact our firm to review your legal options today!
How Can a DUI Attorney in Fresno Help You?
Engaging a DUI lawyer in Fresno is a crucial step toward safeguarding your rights and interests if you've been charged with a DUI. These legal professionals specialize in DUI law and have a thorough understanding of the complexities of the DUI process in Fresno County. They are equipped with the knowledge and resources to navigate the legal system, challenge questionable evidence, negotiate with prosecutors, and present a strong defense on your behalf.
DUI attorneys in Fresno provide a range of services including but not limited to:
- Evaluating the Case: A DUI attorney will thoroughly examine your case's facts and circumstances, identifying any weaknesses or errors made by law enforcement during your arrest.
- Representation in Court: They provide professional representation in court hearings, advocating for your rights and working toward the most favorable outcome.
- Challenging Evidence: They can effectively challenge the validity of breathalyzer and field sobriety test results, bringing forth any discrepancies to weaken the prosecution's case.
- Negotiating Plea Deals: If necessary, DUI lawyers can negotiate plea deals with the prosecutor, potentially reducing your charges or penalties.
- Guidance through the Legal Process: They help you understand the legal process, explaining every detail of your case and the possible outcomes.
- License Reinstatement: If your license has been suspended, a DUI attorney can assist you in the process of license reinstatement.
- Expunging Convictions: They can also help in expunging DUI convictions from your record, minimizing long-term impacts.
Remember, a DUI charge doesn't have to mean a conviction. Having a skilled DUI attorney on your side could be the difference between a criminal record and a dismissal of charges.
DUI Lawyer in Fresno
Time plays a critical component in DUI cases. It is important to contact our team of Fresno DUI lawyers as soon as possible, following your arrest. We are responsive and can come to your location promptly to provide the skilled defense that you need.
Hablamos EspañolSpanish cases are welcome! Our firm provides bilingual legal services to accommodate the needs of our ESL clients.
A Client-Centered FirmWe put our clients first above all else. You can feel confident knowing that we only take cases in which we know have a fair chance at justice.
Experienced Trial AttorneysCombined, our founding legal team has over 25 years of trial experience on the front-line, proving that we are more than qualified for your case.
100% Devoted to the AccusedAny defense attorney who claims to be a former prosecutor is a hypocrite. We have always known what side we are on - your side.